Image from here
I thought I would share a few baker’s ‘tips & tricks’ – to make your baking just that little bit easier.
- Always use your ingredients at room temperature. If they are straight out the fridge, chances are your cakes won’t rise as well
- Don’t skip sieving your ingredients. You’ll have unwanted lumps and also, very dense cupcakes/cakes
- Use the best you can afford. Butter is better than margarine, and the cheapest cocoa on the shelf will not give you that rich, chocolatey taste that you’re after.
- Cooking chocolate is horrendous. Rather spend a little more and buy good quality dark or milk chocolate to cook with – remember the saying when it comes to using wine in cooking? If it’s not good enough to drink, it’s not good enough to cook with. Same goes for chocolate!
- If you are wanting white white frosting, use Wooden Spoon Margarine. The taste is not the same as butter, but no matter how long you beat your butter for it will never ever achieve the white white look you’re wanting. Trust me!
- Gel Food Colourings taste better, use less and give a much better colour and consistency than regular liquid food colourings
- If you are baking cupcakes and you do not have enough mixture to fill all the ‘holes’ in your tray, fill these with water. This will ensure your other cupcakes bake evenly
Happy Baking. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any questions!